Semilla Nueva is recruiting a research and learning director to co-lead the development and publishing of third-party nutrition impact evaluations, monitoring and evaluation, reporting, and assist in program design. This position will report to and collaborate closely with the COO, supervise a M&E coordinator position, and form part of our senior leadership team.
SUMMARY OF THE ORGANIZATION
Malnutrition is one of the greatest barriers to the world’s poorest people escaping poverty. The 900 million people in Africa and Central America who eat corn daily are some of the most affected, with nearly half of Guatemala’s children suffering from stunted growth. Semilla Nueva launched the world’s first social enterprise dedicated to the development, production, and sale of more nutritious, biofortified corn seed directly to small farming families. Farmers buying our seed increase their yields and incomes, while improving the diets of hundreds of thousands— and someday millions—of the world’s poorest consumers. Semilla Nueva is currently expanding our model to work with other seed companies, the Guatemalan government, and partnerships in other countries. In 2021, our fourth year of sales, our seed reached 11,000 families directly and over 20,000 through partnerships.
Semilla Nueva capitalizes on the scientific achievement of the world’s leading scientists at organizations such as CIMMYT, HarvestPlus, INCAP, and universities like Purdue, Iowa State, Tufts, and Harvard. Our donors include some of the most prestigious in impact philanthropy, including Cartier Philanthropy, Mulago and the U.S. Government. Our seeds are based on conventional breeding (non-GMO), although we are not opposed to well-tested biotechnology. Our work has led to rapid growth and international recognition, including an Ashoka fellowship, Mulago fellowship, and Forbes 30 under 30 for our founder.
- Remote work with significant travel (10-20%) to Guatemala
- Salary range: $70-80,000/yr depending on experience
- Competitive benefits package
Semilla Nueva is recruiting a research and learning director to co-lead the development and publishing of third-party nutrition impact evaluations, monitoring and evaluation, reporting, and assist in program design. This position will report to and collaborate closely with the COO, supervise a M&E coordinator position, and will be a part of our senior leadership team. The position will require significant time in Guatemala, but we are open to candidates who have a compelling case for leading our efforts internationally while investing significant time in Guatemala.
We are looking for a passionate, creative, and outgoing leader with who wants to help use impact evaluation to change public policy, donor priorities in order to improve the nutritional intake of millions of people in the next 3-5 years.
Third party studies and M&E
- Co-develop studies with third party researchers to measure the nutritional and livelihood impact of Semilla Nueva’s programs on beneficiary families, including studies on biological impacts, ex-ante impact models, and eventually an efficacy RCT.
- Work with Semilla Nueva’s operations department to improve systems that measure the economic, climate resilience, and food security impact of our program on farming families.
- Lead efforts to visualize the impact of Semilla Nueva’s programs to make it easier for donors, partners, and the Guatemalan government to understand the potential and impact of biofortified seeds in Guatemala.
Lead organizational reporting
- Manage development of bi-annual reports to all donors
- Manage individual donor reporting requirements
Bilateral Relationships and Proposals
- Participate in relationship management with major donors and bilaterals such as USAID
- Participate in proposal writing
Management and Leadership
- Develop and grow a professional team dedicated to the areas above
- Work with the leadership team on organizational and strategic development, including leading writing of new strategic and operational plans
- Graduate degree in nutrition, public health or related field
- Experience in monitoring or program management for nutritional/agricultural value chain interventions
- Experience in developing, implementing and/or maintaining organization wide impact evaluation strategies
- Proficiency in Stata, R, or SAS (Stata preferred) with strong quantitative and qualitative research skills
- Experience designing and managing nutrition research studies
- Experience at an international NGO, preferably living in a developing context
- Demonstrated leadership, stress-management and flexibility in the work environment
- Strong technical writing abilities
- Strong networking and inter-organizational collaboration skills
- Fully fluent English
- Fluent Spanish
- Experience working in Meso-America
- Ability to work independently, proactively, and prioritize/coordinate a variety of activities
- Ability to represent organizational values and develop strategy in a senior leadership role
- Ability to work effectively in a multicultural team
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, constantly evolving work environment
Please send your CV and a brief introduction to email@example.com with the subject, Research and Learning Director and your last name. Feel welcome to send any recent publications and/or an explanation of why you think you would be a good fit.
Semilla Nueva is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to sustaining a diverse community with a work environment that is welcoming, respectful, and encouraging to all. We foster a culture of inclusion that celebrates and cultivates diversity along multiple dimensions, including race, ethnicity, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, out of home care, age, national origin, socioeconomic status, religion, ability, culture, and experience.