We are hiring a development & communications coordinator to support the advancement of Semilla Nueva’s donor stewardship and communications strategy. The ideal candidate will be skilled in content creation, emotionally powerful storytelling and social engagement. This position will work closely with our Development Director to execute Semilla Nueva’s fundraising strategy and cultivate critical donor relationships helping reach our ambitious 2022 and 2023 funding goals.
The position will have opportunities for growth and advancement based on achievements including, senior development and communications coordinator or partnerships manager.
SUMMARY OF THE ORGANIZATION
Malnutrition is one of the greatest barriers to the world’s poorest people escaping poverty. The 900 million people in Africa and Central America who eat corn daily are some of the most affected, with nearly half of Guatemala’s children suffering from stunted growth. Semilla Nueva launched the world’s first social enterprise dedicated to the development, production, and sale of more nutritious, biofortified corn seed directly to small farming families. Farmers buying our seed increase their yields and incomes, while improving the diets of hundreds of thousands— and someday millions—of the world’s poorest consumers. Semilla Nueva is currently expanding our model to work with other seed companies, the Guatemalan government, and partnerships in other countries. In 2021, our fourth year of sales, our seed reached 11,000 families directly and over 20,000 through partnerships.
Semilla Nueva capitalizes on the scientific achievement of the world’s leading scientists at organizations such as CIMMYT, HarvestPlus, INCAP, and universities like Purdue, Iowa State, Tufts, and Harvard. Our donors include some of the most prestigious in impact philanthropy, including Cartier Philanthropy, Mulago and the U.S. Government. Our seeds are based on conventional breeding (non-GMO), although we are not opposed to well-tested biotechnology. Our work has led to rapid growth and international recognition, including an Ashoka fellowship, Mulago fellowship, and Forbes 30 under 30 for our founder.
- Based in Guatemala, but open to remote work
- Salary range: $18,000-22,000/yr depending on experience
- Competitive benefits package
- Maintain, track, and develop relationships with both new and existing foundations and large donors
- Develop video, photo, and written storytelling materials that help Semilla Nueva’s story, impact, and context come alive for donors and partners.
- Work across Semilla Nueva departments to collect up-to-date information and media, especially with our M&E and field teams for data and stories.
- Write fundraising appeals and implement individual donor cultivation plans.
- Process donations, enter fundraising data into our donor database (NeonCRM), and send acknowledgement letters.
- Manage Semilla Nueva’s digital presence, including the website and social media accounts.
- This individual will be based full-time in Guatemala, with up to 30% travel to the field.
- Bachelor’s degree and 1-2 years of relevant experience,
- Exceptional communications skills and visual storytelling,
- Experience working with individual or corporate donors,
- Full working-proficiency in English and Spanish,
- Demonstrated leadership, stress-management, and flexibility in the work environment.
- Experience with graphic design and/or website design,
- Experience managing social media engagement,
- Experience with content creation and writing,
- Advanced photography, photo-editing and videography skills,
- Experience using a CRM.
MAKING THE DECISION TO APPLY
Before applying, please review our website, blog, and annual reports which are found at www.semillanueva.org. To apply please send the following application materials to email@example.com. Please note “Development & Communications Coordinator” in the subject line.
- Tell us in one paragraph why you think that you would be a good fit,
- Provide your CV,
- Provide any work samples that you think that we should see!
Semilla Nueva is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to sustaining a diverse community with a work environment that is welcoming, respectful, and encouraging to all. We foster a culture of inclusion that celebrates and cultivates diversity along multiple dimensions, including race, ethnicity, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, out of home care, age, national origin, socioeconomic status, religion, ability, culture, and experience.